Grafted Cactus Red 'Moon Cactus'
- The Red Grafted Cactus or Moon Cactus has a permanent bright red colour.
- Often mistaken for a flower, the colourful top is actually a different plant to the green ‘stalk’.
- The two cacti are grafted, growing as one.
- The genetic mutation in Gymnocalycium (the top cactus) exposes the bright colours, but the plant lacks chlorophyll which is essential in photosynthesis. Because of this, it cannot survive for long on its own. The problem can, however, be solved by grafting (cutting and attaching) Gymnocalycium on to another cactus that will provide the chlorophyll.
- The grafted cactus or moon cactus is very slow growing and is a happy houseplant, provided it is placed in a bright spot.
Position and Care
- Red Grafted Cactus grows best in a bright spot.
- Direct sunlight, especially in summer, can burn this succulent.
- Can be grown in a shaded part of the garden or indoors.
- It only needs to be watered once every 3-4 weeks in the cooler months.
- In summer, water once every 2 weeks. Allow the soil to dry out before watering again.
- Grows best in free-draining potting mix.
- Due to its slow growth, tolerance to shade and low water requirements, it is the perfect plant for terrariums.
- Easy to look after indoor pot plant.
- Looks great combined with other cacti or shade tolerant succulents.
- Plants are sent bare rooted (without pot or soil).
- The root system will be sufficiently developed.
- The plant will have been growing in 10 cm pot or larger.
- The plant will be at least 8 cm tall.
- Plants are sent on Mondays and Tuesdays, so they arrive before the weekend.
- Due to restrictions, we cannot post plants to WA, NT or TAS.
- All succulents are for sale in Australia only.
- Click here for more information about shipping.
- Please choose your plant carefully as we do not provide refunds if you simply change your mind. Read our Refund Policy
- If you have any questions about the Red Grafted Cactus or any of our other succulent online, please do not hesitate to contact us.