Grafted Cactus Orange 'Moon Cactus'
- The top bit of the Orange Moon Cactus is permanently orange in colour.
- Often mistaken for a flower, the colourful top is actually a different plant to the green ‘stalk’.
- The two cacti are grafted, growing as one.
- The genetic mutation in Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii (the top cactus) exposes the bright colours, but the plant lacks chlorophyll which is essential in photosynthesis. Because of this, it cannot survive for long on its own. The problem can, however, be solved by grafting (cutting and attaching) Gymnocalycium on to another cactus that will provide the chlorophyll.
- The grafted cactus or moon cactus is very slow growing and is a happy houseplant, provided it is placed in a bright spot.
Position and Care
- Orange Grafted Cactus grows best in a bright spot, but shaded spot.
- Direct sunlight, especially in summer, can burn this plant.
- It will grow in a shaded part of the garden or in a cactus garden in a spot without direct sun.
- It is very drought hardy and only needs to be watered once every 3-4 weeks in the cooler months.
- In summer, water once every 2 weeks. Allow the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
- Plant in free-draining potting mix.
- A suitable plant for terrariums, as it's a slow grower and is tolerant of shade. Please make sure not to overwater as the Moon Cactus will rot easily if sitting in water.
- Easy to look after indoor pot plant.
- Looks great combined with other cacti or shade tolerant succulents.
- Plants are sent bare rooted (without pot or soil).
- The root system will be sufficiently developed.
- The plant will have been growing in 10 cm pot or larger.
- The plant will be at least 8 cm in tall and looks very similar to the plant in the photos.
- Plants are sent on Mondays and Tuesdays, so they arrive before the weekend.
- Due to restrictions, we cannot post plants to WA, NT or TAS.
- All succulents are for sale in Australia only.
- Click here for more information about shipping.
- Please choose your plant carefully as we do not provide refunds if you simply change your mind. Read our Refund Policy
- If you have any questions about the Orange Moon Cactus or any of our other succulents online, please do not hesitate to contact us.